Saturday, September 28, 2013

I Want . . .

An anniversary letter to my husband . . .

A couple of things:
1.) I know it's not our anniversary until the end of November, but I feel that if I have something that needs to be said, I should say it NOW instead of waiting for that elusive tomorrow. I know, from experience, that tomorrow may never come.

2.) I also know that you rarely read this blog. I know that it is likely that you will never see this. While I'm writing it for you, I understand that you may never even know about it. I read once that wives should talk uplifting about their husbands when he IS around and when he ISN'T - even when he may never know what was said.

3.) There are a lot of things I could say about God and our relationship with Him as a couple. Our relationship wouldn't be possible without Him. We wouldn't be a "we" without His handing having moved in our lives. He brought us together, and He, and ONLY He, will separate us. Marriage takes 3 - you, me, and God. Without Him, life and marriage and family are empty.

Anyway, here we go . . .
Five years. In so many ways it seems like just yesterday you were standing at the front of the church in your white tux surrounded by groomsmen and bridesmaids in black and white as I walked toward you with my white dress and red roses. It seems like just yesterday we were saying "I do" to the vows as your Bipaw read them to us word-for-word as he had for your parents so many years ago. It seems like just yesterday we were repeating those 
well-known words from Ruth 1:16-17 as we promised each other forever. It seems like just yesterday you were singing Steven Curtis Chapman's "I Will Be Here" as I stood listening, oblivious to the crowd behind me. How is it that 5 years has gone by so quickly?

Five years. So much has happened in these past years. I had no idea how much life could be jam packed into such a short amount of time! We've experienced the birth of three daughters and a son. We experienced the birth of 4 nephews and 2 nieces on my side and 1 of each on your side. We've been together for the weddings of my youngest sister to Daniel and your brothers to Laura and Casie. We've been together through the death of my great-grandfather, my grandfather, my great-aunt, and my great-uncle. You have been there for me through 5 Aprils as I journey through the anniversary of my dad's death and (2 days later) the would-be birthday of a very close family friend. You have been there for me through 5 Julys as I journey through the anniversary of the death of that same close friend and (2 days later) the would-be birthday of my dad. 

Births. Deaths. Everything in between. We have been through so much together.  We have had issues that the "whole world" has known about and prayed and supported us through. We have had issues that only a select few have known about. We have had issues that only we and God know about. We have faced questions and concerns. We have had good times and bad times. We have celebrated together and mourned together. We have been together "for better or worse" and "for richer or poorer" but mostly poorer!!! :-) We have cried together and laughed together. We have questioned together and learned together. There have been times you have carried me and times I have carried you. There have been times we each tried to go it alone, realized that doesn't work in a marriage, and come back together, stronger and closer. We've talked. We've argued. We've disagreed. We've agreed. We've given ourselves to each other for five years.

Five years. So, after five years, what do I have to say? Well, I'm not creative enough to come up with my own words (we all know my negative relationship with poetry!) so I've "stolen" someone else's! Here ya go - since I know your love for country music, I've chosen lyrics from that style! I love you, baby. Knowing what I know, having been through all the negative we've been through, I'd still do it all over again. Happy early 5 year anniversary!

(Some of the song doesn't apply to us so I skipped over those parts with a [. . .]. Those parts of the song are good, but I wanted you to be able to just focus on the parts I would say if I had written it myself!)

Still the One
When I first saw you, I saw love.
And the first time you touched me, I felt love.
And after all this time, you're still the one I love. 

. . . 

(You're still the one)
You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
(You're still the one)
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss goodnight

Ain't nothing better
We beat the odds together
I'm glad we didn't listen [to our trials]
Look at what we would be missing

. . . 

(You're still the one)
You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
(You're still the one)
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss goodnight


(You're still the one)
You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
(You're still the one)
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment