Friday, November 15, 2013

Thankfulness (Days 11-15)

I have to admit that I didn't plan on writing every 5 days. It has just worked out that way. However, my OCD is SO. VERY. EXTREMELY glad it has!!

November 11/Day 11: Today I am thankful that God is always in control of ALL things, even when it feels like everything is spiraling out of control. Several days ago, my last remaining great-grandmother passed away. I know she is in a better place and that her pain was enough and her years beyond what most people even hope for that everyone knows that it was time. It was "easy" to let go - relatively speaking. Today, I learned that my grandfather has recently had a heart attack. He is home and doing much better. It does remind me though how fragile life is. In the midst of those things, our van has been having some transmission trouble. Hopefully we have it figured out and fixed now . . . hopefully . . . and today our washing machine quit on us. It was old and we knew its time was coming (though we secretly hoped for longer!!). It was used for several years, given to my sister who used it for several years, and then passed to us. We've had it for almost 2 years. It has served me faithfully! :-) All that said, here at the end of this day I am so completely ready to "throw in the towel" (pun intended!!)!! I'm thankful that I have a God who has a plan and that even when things seem to be going wrong, they're actually going perfectly according to His ultimate plan.

November 12/Day 12: Today I am thanking God for my brother and Courtney. The way they stand up for each other blesses me. The way they love each other is obvious to everyone who meets them. Their love for God is infectious. I'm so thankful they are a part of our family. We have many, many memories - some good, some not so good - and I wouldn't trade them for the world. I love you guys!!

November 13/Day 13: Well, I moved away from the area literally weeks - if not sooner - after Rachel and Daniel got married. So, I don't know Daniel very well. I do know that he loves God and my sister and his kids with everything in him. I know that he takes care of Rachel and that her best interest goes into each little decision he makes. Today, I miss Rachel. We had a special year together when we shared an apartment in Seabrook. We created so many memories in that little two bedroom place. There was LOTS of laughter and a few tears. There was even some disgust over moving the washing machine (came with the place) out from the wall and finding a pacifier from the previous renters. :-/ Dis-gus-ting!!! We even "weathered" a hurricane together (again, pun intended!!), and prayed like crazy during that storm that we wouldn't lose anything. The day we went back and found that the water had risen to almost the ceiling of the second floor . . . well, let's just say, we were never more thankful for a third floor apartment!! I love you both, and I'm extremely thankful for you!!

November 14/Day 14: Today I am thankful for my broken washing machine!!! (When I'm at the laundromat tomorrow with a week's worth of laundry, someone please remind me of this!!) I have had 4 days of NO laundry! I know most families only do laundry once a week, but in a 6 person family where only one person can do it and 3 of the 4 kids wet the bed almost every night, well, I usually do at least 2 loads a day. This has been somewhat of a restful week. Okay, okay. You got me. There is nothing restful about my life!!! :-) However, I got some cleaning-out done and got caught up on some chores and paperwork and miscellaneous stuff that I had fallen behind on doing. So, for those reasons, I'm thankful for the broken washer and the week without laundry.

November 15/Day 15: Well, it's 3:02 AM so the day hasn't really started yet. I don't know what this day will bring (besides LOADS of laundry and some grocery shopping and planning for our week trip to Gran's!!!), but I already know what I'm thankful for on this day. Today, I am thankful for my husband's job. Truthfully, his annual income, for our size family, is considered poverty - and that's before insurance and taxes. His bring-home pay would shock most people. However, we have never gone without. God has provided time and time again. His paycheck covers all of our bills and buys our groceries in full. I used to be frustrated with his job. I used to think he wasn't getting paid what he deserves for the number of hours he puts in. That may all still be true, but at least he has a job. There are so many people right now who don't have that blessing. They don't know where their next meal is going to come from. It may take extra planning on my part and little bit of a struggle to fit everything into the budget, but at least I know that I can go to the grocery store today and pick up the things I need. I will be able to buy diapers and formula and baby food. I will be able to pick up the food we need for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I will be able to buy our shampoo and soap and all the other things we need. So, on this payday, I am so very grateful that God has blessed my husband with a job that provides exactly what we need. Proverbs 30:8-9 - "First, help me never to tell a lie. Second, give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, "Who is the LORD?" And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God's holy name."

No comments:

Post a Comment