Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Thanksgiving Story Bracelet - Day 1

First off, thank you to everyone who prayed for Emma. This dog was literally at death's door, and I believe that, if it weren't for the prayers of our friends and family, she wouldn't be with us today. That said, she is doing much better, and is back to her normal self . . . hyper and chewing up every. little. thing!!

Second, we decided not to do Halloween this year. Since they don't go to public school and we've missed church because of multiple illnesses the last few weeks, the kids have missed all of the discussions about "what are you gonna be?" Illness can be a blessing in disguise! Halloween came and went and my kids had no idea! Y'all the money I saved and the stress of last minute costume needs that I didn't have to deal with . . . let's just say that it was worth all the candy I didn't get this year! And that means a LOT coming from a sugar addict like me!!!

Third, and the reason for this post: Years ago, I planned Christmas themed activities/crafts for Elizabeth and Jennifer for everyday of December. They loved it, and I had lots of decorations for my house! Since fall is my favorite time of year, I decided to do the same thing with fall/Thanksgiving activities for all 6 kids.

*All of the ideas came from Pinterest and can be found on my fall/Thanksgiving board.*
Here is the link for the one we did today:
http://firstgradewow.blogspot.com/2013/11/retelling-thanksgiving.html

Today, being November 1, we did our first craft. Thanksgiving Story Bracelet. This one was easy and inexpensive. I paid $0.88 for a pack of 25 blue pipe cleaners. They didn't have the small package of primary color pony beads, or it would have been much cheaper. I paid $4.97 for a container of 1500 though so it wasn't too bad, and I can use them again next year. The only thing is that this container doesn't have brown (which is needed for the bracelet) so we had to substitute purple.

I read the accompanying story to the kids and emphasized the color words. Then we read it again, and they added the correct color bead. The bigger kids didn't need any help, but Allison doesn't know her colors yet so it was slow going while she looked at my bead (I made a bracelet for Chance while he napped), and picked out the matching color. Once all the beads were added, as I tied their bracelet and snipped the ends off, I had them tell me one thing they are thankful for. We prayed and thanked God for all of those things.

In all, it only took about 15 minutes, and they were upset when we were finished because they wanted to do more! Next year I'll probably add an additional coloring page for them to do.


25 pack of pipe cleaner cost $0.88
1500 container of pony beads for $4.97.

Samantha (5), CJ (4), Allison (2)
putting beads on their pipe cleaner!

Jennifer (7), Elizabeth (8)
putting beads on their pipe cleaner!

Allison making a silly face
at her completed bracelet!

No comments:

Post a Comment