Monday, June 4, 2012

Something Else

As I was studying about wool and flax for the Proverbs 31:13 blog post, I learned something new. It has nothing to do with Proverbs 31:13 but it does have to do with wool and flax. Or should I say "wool and linen"? Deuteronomy 22:11 says, "You must not wear clothing made of linen and wool together."

There is no reason given for this law, and there are no laws about mixing any other types of materials. I thought about this for a bit, wondering at the reason for it. It crossed my mind that sometimes God gives us laws for practical purposes. Kind of like "well duh!", common sense kind of things.

Wool is a material that would be better suited for winter clothes, blankets, etc while linen would be better for summer items. Of course they shouldn't be mixed! They would work against each other.

Wait! Isn't there something in the New Testament about this? In Matthew 12, when Jesus cast demons out of a blind, mute man, the Pharisees accused Him of getting His power from Satan. Jesus said to them, "Any kingdom divided by civil war is doomed. A town or a family splintered by feuding will fall apart. And if Satan is casting out Satan, he is divided and fighting against himself. His kingdom will not survive. . . Anyone who isn't with me opposes me, and anyone who isn't working with me is actually working against me."

Heavy-weight material can't keep a person cool in the summer, and lightweight material can't keep a person warm in the winter. If they aren't working together, they're working against each other. Then I had another thought: These material are "unequally yoked"!

2 Corinthians 6:14-15 says, "Don't team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness? What harmony can there be between Christ and the devil? How can a believer be a partner with an unbeliever?"

I know it's a stretch, but I still wonder . . . did He give that law simply as an analogy for these things???

No comments:

Post a Comment