Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Virtuous AND Capable

Proverbs 31:10a - "Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?"

I've read this verse many times. I could probably quote it in my sleep. But what does it really mean to be virtuous? I looked up the definition on dictionary.com and this was what it said:

Virtuous: conforming to moral and ethical principles; morally excellent; upright; chaste

Huh? I could probably apply this to my life if I sat and thought about it long enough, but I want to know, in the simplest terms: what does it truly mean to be virtuous? So I began a search of the dictionary. After looking up each word in the definition (moral, ethical, principles, conforming, excellent, upright, chaste), I've come to realize that being virtuous is a MUCH bigger task than I ever dreamed!

Virtuous: concerned with rules of right and wrong; lives according to the rules for right; remarkably good; honest; just; righteous; free from obscenity; stainless; sexually pure.

On top of all that (there's more?!?), I should be capable too.

After doing the same thing with the words of this definition, here is the word capable in its most basic form.

Capable: adequate for assigned tasks because of skill, talent, or training and doing so in the best manner with the least waste of time.

God has high standards for his women!!! Thankfully He doesn't leave us there to figure out for ourselves how to live up to these standards. The rest of the chapter is designed to show us how to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment