Thursday, August 1, 2013

Intense Longing

David's adoration for the laws and regulations and commands of God fills Psalm 119. It's as though he can't get enough of God's statutes. 

In Psalm 42:1-2 he proves this to be true. "As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God. I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him?"

I started thinking about my own life. Do I have this kind of passion? this thirst? 

I have 4 kids, 3 and under, and finding time to devour Scripture is difficult. But is it really all that difficult? Or am I just using my kids as an excuse to avoid sitting down and spending time learning how I should be living? The truth is, if I'm passionate about something, I find a way to spend time doing it. I will make it fit into my life, even if it means staying up until all hours of the night . . . or morning!!!

Oh God, that I would have an unquenchable thirst for You and Your Word. Oh, that I would have a hungering to know You more and follow You with every part of my being.

My reading of Psalm 119 brought me to verse 136 - "Rivers of tears gush from my eyes because people disobey your instructions."

I'm sure that David had tears for the "salvation" of those who rejected God, that they would come to know Him in a real and personal way. However, in the context of this particular verse, his "rivers of tears" were for the forgotten, disobeyed instructions. 

David knows a profound truth, that I would do good to learn. The laws and regulations and commands of God are life-giving waters. They draw us closer to the One for whom our soul cries out. They lead us to the One we were created to need and whom, without, life has no meaning or purpose. They show what brings pleasure and glory and honor to the King of all kings, the Lord of all lords, the Ruler of all rulers.

Oh, that I would have such a passion for God's Word that "rivers of tears gush" from my eyes when it see it disobeyed or when I disobey it myself. 

Give me a thirst, oh God. Give me a hunger. Give me a deep, deep need, like the one David had. Not just a love for and desire to obey them, but an intense longing like I've never known.

No comments:

Post a Comment