Sunday, August 25, 2013

Personality

My Sweet Jennifer,

I don't know if it is because I'm paying closer attention or because your personality is coming out more and more, but I'm finding myself learning a lot of things about you recently.

The first thing has been noticed by everyone who has met you. It's no new revelation to me. Your Aunt Chelle calls you the happiest non-compliant child she's ever met! Even when you're disobeying, you are always happy. You smile through your tears! Your joy is contagious. Your smile is a ray of sunshine in the midst of the dark clouds of life. Your laughter rings out through the thickness, the heaviness of the air on a rough day. You have been given a gift in this. You see the positive in every situation. Your cheeriness causes even the grumpiest of people to smile - I've experienced it firsthand! Proverbs 17 teaches that a cheerful heart is good medicine. It's good for you and for those around you. I pray that no matter what hardships you face in your lifetime, no matter what trials, no matter what struggles you walk through, you won't allow your heart to become hardened. Keep laughing sweetie. Keep your joy. Keep being an infectious ray of sunshine. BUT remember that your joy, true joy, can only come from one place. It's a "Fruit of the Spirit". So, in the midst of those trials, run to Him, and you'll keep that fruit.

I'm learning also that you are terribly OCD! You are a perfectionist to the very core of your being. You come by this honestly so I'm preaching to myself here as well! Being a perfectionist can be a good thing. You'll probably always be neat and organized. You'll be on time and always meet your deadlines. Everything will have a place, and everything will always be in its place. These are not bad things. In fact, they'll most likely make your life easier. Being a perfectionist can be a negative thing too. Don't beat yourself up when you make a mistake - sin. Repent, and turn back to Him who died for your soul, but don't hate yourself. Give yourself and others a little grace. I'm not saying you should let others walk all over you, but realize that no one is perfect. Everyone messes up now and then. Learn to let it go instead of becoming bitter. Oh, and it's okay if your bed isn't perfectly made up while you're sleeping in it! Learn this now at age 2 you'll save yourself a lot of heartache!!! :-)

This letter is already longer than it was when I was writing in my head, but I have one more thing before I end. It's okay to be stubborn. That trait will help you hold fast to your beliefs and convictions. You'll be be like a tree firmly planted along a riverbank with roots that reach deep into the water (Jeremiah 17:8). You won't be easily swayed. You'll be more likely to stay on course. It can be a bad thing too though. When you do get off course, it'll be harder for you to be convinced of the error of your ways. Be teachable sweetheart. Learn to listen to correction and criticism. Find godly people that love you and that you trust, and accept their advice.

I love you very much precious girl. You mean the world to me. We've had personality clashes before, and there have been times when I didn't feel suited to raise you because I didn't understand you. I still don't. However, God entrusted you to me. So I am committing to seeking His face and His guidance each and every day for direction on how to be the mother and leader you need. 

Keep smiling baby girl. Keep laughing. Let God shine through you.

Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment